STRÁŽ NAD NISOU
Stráž nad Nisou – a village above the confluence of Černá and Lužická Nisa – is recorded as early as 1469 as Habendorf. This name is likely to have been brought by its first settlers from their former home in Horní Lužice and Silesia.
First settlers were the Germans, which is proved by their village (community) establishment based on the German Law. As early as in 1550 Habendorf was a small village, where lived but a mayor, 7 peasants and two small farmers living in total 11 houses.
The village didn´t begin to develop until in the 2nd half of the 18th century, when Johann Christoph von Clam had, in direction southwest, set up a village, for weavers of flax, hosiery makers and other craftsmen, called Neuhabendorf. His first settler was a weaver Friedrich Porsche followed by 20 other craftsmen with their failies. In 1790 this new settlement had 37 numbered houses. Karel Hübner living in the house no.6 was there mayor in 1796. Since the village Neuhabendorf was set up the former village had called Althabendorf.
In 1914 both these village were integrated in one village having a common name Althabendorf – Starý Habendorf. In 1916 imperor Franc Josef I. promoted it to township (Marktgemeinde). After World War II, in 1946, former name changed to Stráž nad Nisou.
There was built up the St. Catherine Alexandrian walled church,in the centre of the village in 1599, which was rebuilt in the years 1727 – 1728 in the baroque style. By its south wall there is Emerich Berta´s monument. He was first killed in the war in 1866. Close to the church there was situated a manor house enclosed with a wall, pulled down as late as in 1907. Only a historically valuable gate built in 1692 – 93 was preserved. The manor house was bought in 1800 from the Frýdlant lords by an entrepreneur of Liberec, J.G.Berger who adapted its buildings to a textile factory – first of the kind around Liberec. He gave thus fundamentals for an extensive cloth manufacture in the village. Early in the 20th century there were already 136 various industrial, trade and craftsman´s enterprises here.
Confluence of both rivers contained as early as in 18th century so much water that it could have been used for wood floating from the Jizera Mountains, for driving mills and sawmills.
At the crossroads of the streets U Kina and Haken´s we can admire a nearly hundred years old o Friedrich Schiller´s oak.
On the 22nd March 1852 there was born Ferdinand Schwarz in Althabendorf, who was a representative of the central board of all Austrian Social Democracy in Liberec.
Old Habendorf belonged to the oldest industrial villages in the South Bohemia. It was not too small. In 1869 there lived 1407 inhabitants, Nový Hebendorf had 383 inhabitants. In 1921 both integrated villages had 2244 Inhabitants already. In 2001 live there 1785 inhabitants in Stráži nad Nisou.
On 25th May 1999 the town was given parliamentary heraldry committee´s resolution on assignment of the coat of arms and a flag.
There is a railway running through Stráž nad Nisou in direction Liberec –Hrádek nad Nisou and Liberec – Frýdlant v Čechách, having a railway stop in the middle of the village. The railway was opened here on 1st July 1875.
State roads run in the same directions as railways through Stráž nad Nisou. There goes also a cycling path and a green tourist path in direction Dračí vrch (about 7 km) or Chrastava (about 8 km).